Saturday, February 2, 2019

BLACK PEPPER CAFE AND THE YESTERYEARS


It was on Sunday evening, 27th January 2019, when a dozen of us had gathered after more than two decades for a few hours. How time flies!

Excited as I was of the plan since days, this Sunday was the most awaited one. It happened to be a busy day but decided to make it at any cost. Also was wondering how it would turn out. At times, even doubted if I would reach there at 5:30 p.m. Despite doubts and unsure of the shortest way, I headed in the local bus towards the venue at around the same time.

I had checked the location in Google and was sure about it. It would have been about 20 minutes’ walk from the bus stop. As Jhamsikhel is not a much visited place, I lost the way and reached somewhere else. The darkness and less visibility had aggravated the situation. I was roaming in the area for about an hour searching for the venue.

Half hopeful to reach to the event, assuming that everyone must have left the place by then, I thought not to trouble them by calling but kept walking. Wondered how I got the way wrong despite checking and confirming. Unexpectedly, I reached the British School, carried on and found the venue within 5 minutes.

The place was well-lit with a touch of warm welcoming Nepaliness. Confused as I was, I opened the main door. A group of people were seated in one area towards the corner, saw some familiar faces, familiar because of facebook pictures, and was grateful to have been invited. I was glad that I could make it.

On reaching closer, I could see my classmates. I was meeting them in person after more than two decades. I was in a surreal world. They had arrived on time and were enjoying with the old memories over snacks. As I was trying to identify each one, others were doing the same. I joined them, still dreaming and slowly getting back to the present. We tried to remember the old unclear faces of the past and compare with our present appearances—the same face with some wrinkles added and the hair turned grey; some had lost weight and some had gained whereas some had remained unchanged. However, emotionally, we were the same young kids full of life and energy.  

The group had celebrities, doctors, pharmacists, IT professionals, entrepreneurs, an interior designer and a teacher, mostly married with kids.

Most of our conversation was about our school days where we had memories with friends and teachers—the fun part and the naughtiness, the teachers we liked and disliked, and almost everything. I assumed that I would become the same for my students after a decade. Positive vibes filled the air of the Cafe.

Enjoying ourselves over the delicious French fries, awesome fish with boiled vegetables and drinks, we kept on reviving the fun-filled memories of the yesteryears. Also, found that some of us had become diet conscious at late 30s. However, we were following different diet patterns for a healthy life in our own way. Clicked pictures and tried to be connected by sending friend requests through facebook.

The memorable evening had come to an end. It had reminded us of the bygone days, the memories we create with friends, the bond with our school and much more. We knew how time had passed. School days seem like yesterday but so much has happened in these years. A helpful friend decided to drop me at my place. All thanks to him. Such get togetherness gives us energy. With a promise of organizing such gatherings often, we departed connected.   

No comments: