Thursday, March 8, 2012

BEACH CLEANING


Sunday 26th February, 2012

Today was a day off due to construction works in train station. It is the last week for construction. From next Sunday, I will be working in Richmond Station as usual. So this week became a lucky one for me. And the day was wonderful. Warm sunny Sunday in February. Unusual. I woke up at 5:30 am and finished my daily schedule. Had a banana and tea made by vauju (sister-in-law). She had kept the battery of camera charged in her room for half an hour. I grabbed it along with the colourful rainy boots, maps, ploughman sandwich, water bottle, fleece jacket, shawl and left home at 7:25 am. I was meant to catch bus number 222 at 7:38 am; if not, at 7:58 from Hounslow Station. Thinking it would be quicker, I headed Hounslow Treaty Center. On the way, I called my elder sister in Nepal and finished my international free minutes. However, the bus arrived at 7:55 am at Treaty Center, confusing me about the bus schedule. It could not have taken more than 5 minutes from the Hounslow Station.

It took nearly 45 minutes to reach Belmont Road Bus stop in Uxbridge. Roads were quiet as anything. I withdrew £10 cash from Barclays cash point at Belmont Road and followed the map enjoying the fresh morning scenario. Got puzzled when I saw the road end there but soon realized the office was just left to the way. I reached 45 minutes early and was unsure whether or not to knock the door. Thought to roam around a bit and look at the surroundings. Right ahead was a pond (muddy though) with ducks swimming. I clicked a few pictures and went to the main road behind it and also the Willow village (a small park) about 5 minutes’ walk from the office. Called vauju and got the best wishes for the day. When I was enjoying the fresh air, the office called my mobile to know about my whereabouts. I was honest and said I will be back in a few minutes. So headed to the office and was welcomed by Mike and Maria. CEO of the office welcomed me too and offered a breakfast. Maria made porridge ready for me.  I went through a few magazines, making me wonder if it was the right place to publish serious wildlife articles. Looking around the house was enjoyable. Wildlife seemed to have occupied all the spaces- the garden outside, room inside, decorations and almost everything.

After sometime, there were other people joining us. They were 3 British and 3 Filipinos. The CEO introduced us all and 9 of us left in 3 cars with stuffs loaded (lunch, first aid box and beach cleaning equipments) towards Rottingdean (near Brighton) at 10:30 am. I was in the CEO’s car in the front seat and sandwiches and my bag in the backseat. I felt too long a distance towards Rottingdean. Talked with him on the way about this and that. Country landscapes and green grasslands reminded me of my Cardiff days when I used to travel with Maithili and Pushpa to Bath, Slimbridge and many other places. The uphill near Rottingdean windmill looking to the grasslands below was a majestic moment. Felt heaven. We reached Rottingdean around 12:15 pm. Parked the cars and had a cup of coffee in the White Horse Hotel. Filipino friends were in a group and went shopping getting off from the car. I was with others trying to enjoy. English conversation consisted of English world, English people, latest IT tools, and (not to forget) with English accent. So the situation is imaginable. 

I wanted to start beach cleaning immediately. It happened after some time which I enjoyed a lot. I clicked few pictures of the sea and in the sea. After all, it was the first time I saw the sea. Felt heaven again. With the bin bags in a container, gloves, litter pickers and a list of notes and a pen, we moved towards the far end of the pebbled beach. As the CEO had said, the beach looked clean from far but once we started searching for rubbish, we found it full of garbage. Ignoring the crowd on a sunny Sunday beach, we picked up rubbish and found things such as plastics, fish net, fish line, plastic strapping band and dog poo. Also, we collected dried egg covers of various sea animals, mostly dogfish. We then weighed the rubbish and left them near the rubbish bin. Felt a bit hungry and had sandwiches, crisps and water.

After spending about 3 hours in the beach, we headed back to Uxbridge bidding a goodbye to Rottingdean. We returned the way we had reached there. At 5:15 pm, we reached the office. Filipino dinner was ready although some friends had already left us. Noodles, spring rolls, roasted chicken and wine. Delicious! Thanks to Maria. We all had dinner and the English conversation followed. I enjoyed and left the place at 6:00 pm apologizing for the early leave. Overall, the day had been a fruitful one to save the environment. Thanks to the charity team.

3 comments:

E~Shabda said...

Happy to read you after long... waiting for more and more writings...

deepa said...

Thanks dear. I am thinking to write now. In fact, writing already...What shall we wait for? Istn't it?

E~Shabda said...

yes di. Let's rock! :) hehe