Sunday, December 28, 2014

POKHARA AND CHITWAN



23rd October, 2014
This journey was my first one for many things. I was doing domestic travelling alone for the first time. It was a first-time experience of a tourist AC bus. I had never visited Pokhara or Chitwan before. This travel began at 7 am from Kantipath. The bus reached Pokhara through Naubise, Ghansipauwa and Malekhu. When the bus stopped for some time in Ghansipauwa, I tasted fried veg. momo. At around 12 pm, the bus stopped again for lunch in Malekhu. I had a full meal which was a buffet. A lot of crowd could be seen there. I liked the concept.

Before reaching the bus stop of Pokhara, lovely mountains welcomed tourists through the way. The sky was clear. At 3 pm, the bus stopped at Barahi Chowk near Hallanchowk in Lakeside. My hotel was nearby but as a newcomer, I was a bit naive to the place. I took a taxi, the fare of which I found a bit expensive than Kathmandu. It was Nrs. 150 for a walking distance of 10 minutes.

After having a quick shower followed by a cup of tea, I went out to explore. The first glimpse of Phewa Lake at just 2 minutes’ walk from the hotel was marvelous. The feeling was unexplainable. I felt heaven. Walked through the sidewalk and reached Tal Barahi. Grabbed a life jacket and went towards Barahi Temple situated inside the lake in a boat. The surrounding views looked lovely from the lake. There were about 10 people in the boat. Although slightly scared of the water, the experience was exciting.

I did the darshan and clicked pictures. The temple in the middle of the lake on an island is an amazing view. Returned back in a boat which remained close to the edge of the island. 

Roamed around the lakeside shops while returning in the evening. It resembled Thamel of Kathmandu. Lakeside was celebrating the festival of lights with the performance of songs and dances by locals. Girls were attired traditionally. Loud music vibrated the city. I captured in my camera every interesting bit possible and all the mandalas made for Laxmi puja. It was quite interesting to find each of the mandalas different from the next one. None looked same. Whole city seemed exhilarated. I bought a shoe there which was again costly as compared to Kathmandu. Returned to the hotel and had dinner at about 8 pm.

24th October
Next morning was for morning walk at lakeside. The morning view looked cool and beautiful. The lake was absorbed in fog and mist. The hills were slightly visible through clouds. A woman was fishing in the lake. After enjoying these views, I returned and had breakfast. The festive mood had already begun and locals were dancing in front of the hotels. I was observing and enjoying but suddenly had to leave them to perform as the bus for sightseeing had approached. The bus ran through the city.

Starting with Bindhyabasini Temple, the sightseeing ended with Tal Barahi temple dropping us all in front of the Chowk. Bat’s cave, Mahendra cave and Gupteshwor cave were visited. Begnas Lake, Seti River, Devi’s Falls were other sights. Had lunch in a restaurant there (momo again). Caves were very adventurous. Once I hit my head badly on the opening of the cave. Seti River was so white I had never seen such rivers before. Begnas Lake had less number of visitors compared to Phewa. However, the beauty of both was similar. Devi’s falls covered a large area although the main location was quite small. After the sightseeing, enjoying a cup of coffee in a restaurant in front of the lakeside, I clicked the summit of Mt. Machhapucchre. I was glad that I could at least see a part of it in the cloudy evening. Enjoying the beauty of Pokhara and feeling blessed, I walked through the main road of lakeside shops and hotels. Returned back to the hotel for dinner.

25th October
The last morning walk began in the dawn around lakeside where I walked for about 30 minutes up to the big park area called Basundhara. It was beyond Ratna Mandir. Bought a few pasties on the way a baker carried over his head, which could not be resisted because of its aroma. Returned back to the hotel for a breakfast. Chatted with the owner about the city. He dropped me to the Tourist bus station. All Pokhareli seemed people of politeness. I left pokhara and headed towards Chitwan.

Chitwan is 150 km away from Pokhara. The bus mostly had tourists; however, the speed seemed scary. On the way to Chitwan, I was fortunate to meet a Nepali litterateur sitting next to me. We had intellectual conversation throughout the travel and the way to my destination seemed shorter. I reached Sauraha Bus Park in the noon. Once I reached the hotel, a heavy lunch was served very soon. The schedule was fixed here for all days. The first thing to do was to visit a museum and an elephant center, both inside the national park at 4 pm. It was also called a short jungle walk. I was included in a group of 9 Chinese students throughout the stay here. At 6:30, a Tharu cultural program was shown in a hall nearby the hotel. The hall was crowded and I could see many foreigners enjoying the dances. I was fascinated by the dances too and felt guilty that I had not known the culture of my own country. Returned back and had dinner at 8 pm.

26th October
After breakfast, we headed for canoeing and a long jungle walk. Canoeing was a mind-blowing experience. The feeling of feeling oneself light once I stayed in a canoe in a completely calm and peaceful misty morning is unexplainable. During canoeing, we could see many birds near the river area. After about an hour, we reached the place wherefrom we would start our walk in the forest. Walking through the dense forests with the hope of finding wild animals was a good experience. However, to our disappointment, we could see only a deer and a boar. No rhinos or elephants were seen. Took a canoe again to cross the river to reach the hotel. The lunch was ready by then and I roamed around Sauraha market after that. After coming back from there, I went to a natural museum situated at 30 minutes’ walking distance from the hotel. Resting for a while, I waited for the final program- riding over the elephant. The elephant ride in a community forest was scheduled at 4 pm for about an hour and a half. With a group of four in an elephant, we entered the forest. Here, we could see deer, monkey, boar, and owl. Had dinner in the evening.

27th October
The final day was only set for heading towards Kathmandu after breakfast. Went outside the hotel in front of the river and observed the area. Was guided a bit by a local guide there and had a chance to watch animals through his binoculars. Then bid farewell to the place along with the Chinese tourists. Although left early, reached Kathmandu only at around 6 pm due to road construction. The journey had delayed by 4 hours. I was in Kathmandu but felt a bit lost as if in a new environment. Thus, my 5 days of domestic travel ended.

No comments: